Abbot House Heritage Centre promotes and interprets the medieval culture and heritage of Dunfermline and Scotland, actively encouraging our visitors to engage with and learn from our collection and the architecture of Dunfermline’s oldest domestic building. We collect, preserve, and interpret artefacts from the local area and hold them in trust for future generations. Abbot House Heritage Centre Trust is a registered charity. Its primary objectives are to:
- promote the enjoyment of local and national culture and heritage;
- educate and inform the public about that legacy;
- promote, maintain, and enhance the fabric of the historic building at Abbot House;
- develop and promote the historic culture of Dunfermline, in conjunction with other creative and historic organizations; and
- participate in the development of the local community by providing opportunities for cultural development, volunteering, outreach, and community interaction.
Abbot House Heritage Centre trust is dedicated to openness and transperancy in all our work. As a charter member of Scotland’s Happy (Cantie) Museum Group, we strive to forefront the important role cultural institutions play in improving quality of life and contributing to well-being. We work toward achieving financial, environmental, and social sustainability in our work. You can read more about our work in our policies below.
COLLECTIONS MANAGEMENT FRAMEWORK
The Collections Management Framework defines the purpose of the collection at Abbot House and outlines procedures for the ethical and responsible maintenance of its collections. The Framework provides a basis for open and transparent decision-making and promotes an informed dialogue between Abbot House, donors, funding bodies, and other stakeholders. While not currently an accredited museum, and therefore is not required to operate under the Accreditation Standards of the Museums, Libraries, and Archive’s Council, Abbot House is progressing toward Accreditation in 2014, and is dedicated to operating in the most straightforward and honest manner in all policy decisions. Abbot House will endeavour to follow these standards, and those of other regulatory bodies within the heritage and museums sector, whenever possible.